Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Unexpected Blessings

2007. I rang in the new year, expecting to have a great one. I mean, who really kicks off a new year thinking "this is going to be the hardest year of my life. it's going to be horrible!"

But it started, and it felt as though things were cascading one after another. Best friend moves. Car insurance problems causes a 30% increase in payments. A big fight with a close friend. Propoerty tax problems equal to payments above what I can literally afford. Roommate moves out and thus 'income' lowers. Roof leaks. A lot.

Looking at that list, it doesn't look like a lot. But it was very stretching. And each day I was waiting for the other shoe to fall. Daily I began asking God to provide. I just told him that I was alone and in a place where I couldn't sustain myself on my own. I didn't have the strength to hold it together alone.

And it has been the most amazing 5 months of my life! Not only has God provided for me each day the things I need that day, but he has given me little bits and pieces along the way to make ends meet. A new roommate. A tax return. Extra money for taking notes for a learning disability student in my classes. New friends. Support from my friends. Encouraging notes. Uplifting phone calls. Supportive emails.

But the best part? Somehow, I am more content and more at peace than ever before. It's almost as though I had to go through this refining fire to get to this new, more mature, more God-connected place. And you know what? I wouldn't trade this time for the world. I'd rather be more connected to God and my loved ones than live a comfortable life. I can handle the stretching now. I can function really well despite the added stress. I've seen that friends who are far awar aren't far away in spirit. That friendship changes, but that doesn't have to mean it gets worse or less.

I'm grateful that God taught me these lessons (and many more!). I'm glad I've had this time. Reminds me of this verse from the Psalms:

Psalm 1:3a "They are like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season..."

I've been drinking the water, and yielding fruit in season. And now I have made a committment to never stop drinking the water. God is my true lifeline.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home