Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

11:16

So, it's almost bedtime. And here I lay in bed, writing this blog. I've been really thinking about someting lately. A friend/colleague of mine asked me while in town last week "Melinda, do you even know how to relax?" And I indignantly (of course!) answered yes.

But let's see....I was up until 2am last night reading my case study for class tonight. Woke up at 5:30 to write out my homework due tonight. Got to work early at 7 to dig into emails and start the day. Over lunch I wrote my case study responses, then after work I drove to class, sat in my car in the parking garage listening to songs to relax, and then headed in to the libray to finish my case study questions. I then had class, drove home and talked on the phone to a good friend, all while watering the lawn and doing a load of laundry. Then I caught up on my myspace/virb/facebook, and now I'm about to do my Bible reading and go to bed.

Why do I tell you this? Because I am trying to figure out if I am just really disciplined, if this is situational business because of class, or if I really do have an addition to 'productivity'. And, because I really need people to remind me to carve out time to relax. I enjoy doing it, but I was raised in a home where you were loved more if you accomplished more, and the opposite was also true. So, sometimes I think if I do more, I'll be loved more.

What a falsity!! How dare I believe that crap. And yet, it was such a part of my formative years, that sometimes it creeps back in.

Today while having an e-conversation with a friend, I mentioned that I should have turned out so different from the woman I am today. And my friends, it is all because of God's grace. Directly from the big guy himself, but also grace through my friends like Jenny Jones, Jenny VB, Sarah and Ben. I'm so blessed to be in this place - a place of contentment and peace.

So, things I am excited about for tomorrow!?
1) Work (treat time - I'm making cookie monsters for everyone!)
2) Carpooling
3) Finishing the book of Micah
4) Wearing my cute new tank top (I havent been shopping in 6 months. it's quite exciting to get something new, even if choosing what I will replace it with and donate is a hard decision!)
5) Taking a nap after work
6) Listening to music
7) Going dancing with Nikki!!!
8) One night without homework

So there you go. Perhaps I do know how to relax. Or perhaps all that matters is the fact that I am secure in who I am, relaxed or high strung, and that I am able to relax in Christ. I am at peace because I rest in him. Hallelujah!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Cameron Conant said…

    Now don't forget to keep writing those lists of things you are going to do to relax! ;)

    You need to spend more time with me.

    Love you friend.

    Cam

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    I am such a list person!

    Hmmm...a list of things to do to relax...

    1) read quality books
    2) listen to music. just sit, and listen to it
    3) go downtown GR with friends
    4) take a walk
    5) read my Bible

    how's that for starters? After class is over, I can add alot more to that list!!!!! :0)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home