Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Freedom to Be

What does this mean? Are we truly free? I have lived overseas in a country where we did not the freedoms we have in the US. I’ve traveled to countries and looked at girls my same age (9 at the time) stuck in that sweat shop making rugs for the rest of their lives. Rugs my friends and family and I will buy from big stores who charge lots and pay the workers little. These girls were not free to be their full selves, to live to their full potential as human beings.

My roommate was not free to be in her marriage. Her husband emotionally beat her down. Last night I got the new Keith Urban CD (amazing!) and played the song ‘Stupid Boy’ for her. I’m not putting all this on her husband, but this song resonated with her. And my hunch is that it resonates with many women out there who have male figures in their life who have beat them down. Emotionally. The pain one feels when their uniqueness is told it’s not enough. It’s not good enough. It will never be enough.

Many people live in captivity. For some, it’s physical. They aren’t fully allowed to be who they are. Women are forced to become secondary objects, not own property, not speak, not teach. They aren’t free to be.

For others, it’s an emotional captivity. They aren’t free to be because somehow that one person still has power over them. Or they are tormented with thoughts of worthlessness, despair, hopelessness, sadness, guilt. Or that person in their life, like the male figure in 'Stupid Boy' still tells them they aren't enough, they aren't worthy, they can never be free to be themselves, because being themself isn't worthy.

But we can be free.

I am proof of that. I’ve broken free from emotional captivity. Finally, I have been given the chance (translate that as I was forced/pushed into it by life circumstances!) to step out truly on my own. No one to be overly dependent on. No one to remind me I am smart, fun, loveable, etc. No one to hold my hand through it all. It’s time for me to be an adult, to step out, to fully accept love from my friends and be able to offer my hand to them when I need them to walk beside me. To lean on them when I feel despair. Not to expect it or to depend on it, but to ask for it, and accept it.

You know how I broke free?

Love.

Love wins.

God’s love.

He never quit chasing me and showing me I am enough.

Be enough. Today, you are enough. You are free to be.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger Ian Matthews said…

    Great post Melinda. I will pray for your friend - when guys do this sort of thing it just gets me really angry.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home