Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bridges vs. Walls

“Bridges are, more beautiful than bombs are.”

In case you haven’t heard this beautiful song by Aaron Niequist, you need to. It’s called ‘Love Can Change the World’ and it’s lyrics and music are wonderful. I feel like this song, more than any I’ve ever heard, shows the true posture of worship. And of course, I’m gonna like any song that says love can change the world, because that’s my life mantra. :)

Anyway, this Sunday pastor Jeff at one point said a phrase that really stuck out to me: “If God is building a bridge, are you going to continue building a wall?” Man. I think that statement is really convicting. We, as Christians, are so guilty of often building walls where God is busy building bridges. I think about this a lot with ‘the fringe’ in our society – or as my friend Doug puts it, the ‘left out, left behind, and the let down in us all’. How often do we as Christians build walls around ourselves to protect against those who are ‘different’ from us, while meanwhile God is building bridges into their hearts? It makes me really sad to think about all the times in my life that I have done this, either intentionally or unintentionally.

I had a conversation today with someone very close to me, about why I’m passionate about getting involved with H/AS (HIV/AIDS Services). For me, it’s building a bridge. It’s about loving my brother and sister, and seeing them how God sees them. And while this person made valid points and counterpoints, and while they’re entitled to their own opinion, it made me sad. Because where I see bridges being made in the Christian community, here I saw a wall.

And I’m not sure what to do with it.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger Ben said…

    No offense, but I do not believe there are valid arguments against HIV/AIDS services.

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger Melinda said…

    Ben: no offense taken. I'm on the same page as you. Which is why it's hard when those I love aren't.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, I love what you wrote about building bridges. I found it googling bridges vs. walls for a children's devotional. There was a song I heard when in middle school at a retreat. I remember part of the lyrics and I'm trying to find the rest. "bridges and walls, bridges and walls, some we cross over and some stand so tall, you know I'm really amazed that we made it at all the way you build your bridges and I build my walls." Ever heard it? Would love to find it.

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    faith girl: sadly, I cannot help you. I have never heard that song. :(

    But...i'm glad you stumbled onto my blog and I hope you find the info you're needing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home