Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Monday, November 03, 2008

Detours

Church was amazing on Sunday. In so many ways – not only was Jeff articulate and expressive and challenging while being encouraging like he so often is, but later that night at youth group there were so many things that did my heart good. Working with other leaders to help our students, seeing the students grow, seeing people passionately giving time and energy to help young minds and hearts. It’s truly incredible to step back and watch it happen, let alone be a part of it.

One of the things Jeff talked about Sunday was being on a ‘detour’, and how we have two options. We can either resent it and question it and sit until it passes us by; potentially missing opportunities to learn, to grow, to bless others, to see a new characteristic of God, etc. Or we can embrace it, and say we don’t know why we’re in this detour, but we aren’t going to put life on hold. We’re not going to wait to help others, or grow, or see God, or be his hands and feet.

I was on a detour recently. It was an interesting one, because it was an emotional detour. I think I’m just on my way out of the detour (though who really knows) and one thing I’ve found is that I am the only one who can push forward and make the choice to not put life on hold. I did that a lot this weekend, actually. It would have been easier to give into the detour, and waste an opportunity to spend time with my roommate, to run outside in the crisp autumn air, to fellowship with friends at LifeLine, to talk to God about some stuff.

I kinda like detours. They remind me that I’m NOT in control, and I need that reminder from time to time. :)

In other news, I’ve been thinking a lot about the question ‘who are you?’ I feel , like I’m sure many do, that there are two parts to Melinda. There is the one side of me that is over-diligent, super-disciplined, struggles to relax, budget-conscious, type-A, a bit uptight, a little bit critical, etc. etc. This is the part of me that got me through Calvin while running and while leading the business forum. This is also the part of me that has gotten me where I am in my career, and that helped me push through my MBA when times were tough.

But then there is this side of me that is so carefree and spontaneous. The part of me that dances for 4 hours at Bottom40, the part of me that loves being a youth leader because I get to foster the loving side of me while putting the critical side on hold. The part of me that walks over to the Alger Middle School park and swings for hours. The part that sings out loud when I listen to my iPod while running.

These two opposites are both me. But if asked which is the real me, I don’t know what I’d answer. Because they both are.

Does anyone else ever feel like they are two people at once?

2 Comments:

  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger Alissa said…

    I swing on those swings too!!! I know this is weird, but swinging immediately takes care of a bad mood for me.

    And yes, I definitely have two opposite sides. I have a sense of adventure that is often strangled by fear. I'm an extrovert and an introvert. I'm incredibly loving at times, but completely judgemental at other times. I think for me the opposites are due to who I am to others and who I am to myself...

     
  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger Melinda said…

    No way! Hopefully we'll bump into each other there soon.

    Interesting thoughts about why you are 'two people'. That makes much sense.

    For me, I think it's more when I indulge my playful side, my non-responsible side, that I become one person altogether. But then there is my serious side, which is when the disciplined, driven part of me comes out. There are days I wish I was just one or the other, but most days I think it's beautiful how we are all such complex, beautiful beings.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home