Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Fast Food.

This seems to be everything I eat these days. I was a runner all through High School and college, topping out my weight at 120 senior year of Calvin. For those of you who know me and are reading this, I can't believe I am going to admit this, and be very afraid...but I now weigh 135. That is 15 pounds in the past 3 years! YIKES! And yet, I will sit down tonight, well, no, I will go through the drivethrough tonight at Arby's and bite into some delicious, "I didn't have to make it or clean up the dishes" food. I do this because I have made myself too busy to go grocery shopping or make a meal. Actually, it's more that I consider the other things more important than taking care of myself, so therefore I choose to use the time to do that instead of grovery shopping or cooking. Man, why is it that we feel the need to push ourselves to the borders of exhaustion just to feel like we are accomplishing something?

I mean, every time someone hurts me and I refuse to give in to bitterness/resentment/revenge, aren't I accomplishing something? Isn't Christ's work in me taking place? And when I take a quiet moment to talk to God and tell Him why it's hard for me to understand why we let so much 'bad' into our lives, when we see the consequences of our sin and still choose it over Him, aren't I accomplishing something?

My problem is, I see an opportunity in, well, every opportunity. A chance to welcome a new friend at work, and make him feel special. A chance to spend time with my girl friends who build me up and crack me up and lift me up. A chance to make someone smile. A chance to challenge the status quo, to let people into my life when our culture tells us "if you don't let them in, they can't hurt you". And all that leads me to say YES to everything offered to me, and not only that, but to say YES and How Can I Help Organize That? I was doing so well with the boundaries, but I think I have killed it for this week. Boundaries 0 Old Habits 5

But, thats OK. Redemption, growth, maturity...these all take time. I am learning this week from these over-commitment mistakes, and will do my best to protect myself for next week.

In random news, my lawn is coming back! I've managed to keep it green this summer and it's not looking too shabby! But hey, anyone who wants to mow it for me on Saturday...I'll buy ya lunch! haha Can you tell I love mowing? :)

-Melin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home