Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Friday, November 24, 2006

A Friend

So, I have a dear friend who has a blog and every so often he posts about his friends and family who are dear to him. I used to threaten him that I would be so mad if he ever used my name on his blog; but to be honest, it was a self-defense mechanism. I guess I figured that I wouldn't have to be hurt that he never mentioned me if I had told him not to...

And like a true friend, Cam respected my wishes. Mostly... :)

Cam has been on my heart lately, and I feel the need to tell you what my defintion of a true friend is. Cam is one of the best examples of that. Let me introduce you to one of the best friends I have ever known...

Cam is the kind of guy who lights up a room. His laugh is treasured by all those who hear it - they think of Cam and they think of laughter and good times. I worked with him when he was here, and was lucky enough to have my officle across from his. It made for great fun when we could make faces at each other when Ben came by or when a crazy media call came in. Or when I was just being weird and dancing to my music.

But what I think of and treasure most about Cam is his dedication. When I met Cam, I was just finding out who I really was. I was free from past stereotypes, God was taking control of my heart in a big way, and I was still walking the line of being who my parents wanted me to be versus who I wanted to be. As I went on my journey, slowly Cam became a part of it and was always the first to be there to support me when I made a tough decision or encourage me when I felt stuck.

Then one day, Cam wasn't at work. And another. And when he was back, he wasn't himself. It was the start of his painful journey of divorce. And it was so hard to watch: the life would slip out of him and he went to great lengths to fight, to hold on, and to heal.

Before him, I never had any divorced friends. God used Cam to show me what being labeled 'divorced' should and should not look like. And yet, despite Cam going through the most hellish ordeal of his life, he was always there for his friends. He always gave time to me, no matter what was going on in his world.

Before I met Cam and my other close friends, it is fair to say I was a self-focused, self-absorbed person. But Cam showed me what it means to stick by others and to think of them first. And I realized I wanted to be that kind of person, that kind of friend.

If you look at the links on the right of this page, you will see Cameron's blog. He is author of a book that tells of his journey through divorce, called With or Without You. Friends, I highly recommend you follow his journey. He has an incredible heart and an incredible spirit, and your life will be enriched to know his story...

1 Comments:

  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Cameron Conant said…

    this doesn't sound like me! ;) ha. i love you my friend. thank you. i could say very similar things about you.

    cam

     

Post a Comment

<< Home