Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

So, I am trying to post more frequently, daily if possible, because it challenges me and stretches me. Not only in hopefully improving my writing, but in forcing myself to share who I am with the world. I want to know, and be known. My hope is that this blog is a place for me to connect with you and with God, and a place for you to connect with each other and to find encouragement. So here goes, my thoughts for today:

"Father which way do you want me to go? I cannot clearly see…"
These words echo in me. I send them out to God each day...because each day is in the living, and the being led moment by moment. And someday I will hear these words on earth, while for now I hear them from my heavenly Father: "You don’t have to be strong, you’re not alone in this anymore."

I am so glad I am not alone.

And yet, this weekend, my roommate moved out and I found myself alone on Sunday, doing mundane chores around the house.

I raked the lawn and cleaned gutters for 3 hours, cleaned out the fireplace and prepared the next fire for when I return from Thanksgiving holiday. I vacuumed and dusted the house, painted my old roommates bedroom so it is ready as a guest room, made the bed in there, cleaned out the closet, added empty hangers for guests to use, and scrubbed/cleaned the guest bathroom.

And while I realized that I would rather have been in the presence of good friends, or sitting inside drinking hot cocoa, I found so many spiritual insights in the basic work I did yesterday.

First, as I raked the leaves and cleaned the gutters in preparation for the winter, I thought about how without tender care, my lawn would die and not be protected for the winter. God has given me the responsibility of caring for his creation, and that includes the land I live on. I need to take care of it, to show my gratitude to God for his gifts, and to be responsible with what he entrusted to me.

Cleaning out the fireplace reminded me how something so beautiful and radiant can also leave behind an ugly mess. And it challenged me to not be fooled by outward appearances of people; no matter how beautiful they can appear to be, some people can come into our lives and leave a mess behind. But God can restore, and he can help us scrub the black away, and prepare for a new fire to be lit in our heart.

As I prepared the guest room, it made me realize how much I love taking care of people. I cherish the idea of inviting people into my home, and making them comfortable while they stay. It's one of the reasons I have a house, because I like taking people in and hope they leave with their hearts just a little bit fuller.

Basically, Sunday came down to mind over matter. I can choose to sit inside and waste time feeling sorry for myself, for not knowing where I am meant to be going in this life, for not having anyone to share this home with, for having too much stinking homework to do and not knowing where to start...

Or I can say, God, you have given me much, and for much I owe you. I will take these gifts and responsibilities, and cherish them. I want to be diligent in the small things so I can be diligent in the big things. You ask this of me, and I gladly submit.

When you find yourself alone, doing a mundane chore or task, remember the reasons we have them. Contemplate on the joy that comes from simply doing tasks as a thank you to God for what he has given you.

And don't forget to light that fire at the end of the day, and enjoy some moments in reflection and relaxation...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home