Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Lessons from Church (Part 1)

So my pastor has been in an amazing series, this is week 2 of 3. So sad I have to miss week 3, but I will be in Chicago, and who can beat that? Anyways, this first post is not so much about what Jeff said, but about something that happened during the service.

First thing, we took communion today. I love communion Sunday's. It's hard for me to slow down my thoughts and my heart and focus on God and what Jesus did for me, and I love communion days because they force me to slow down and think about it. To be in the presence of my God, and just absorb it. But the guy who read the verses and led us in communion said something that I know to be true, have heard a million times, and yet tears came. He said "God loves you. He LOVES you." Man, that still shakes me to my core after 25 years. I cannot fathom the depths of his love for me, especially when I can't hide anything from him. My bad thoughts, nasty comments I make under my breath, the times I want to run from responsibility...He sees it all. And yet he loves me!

Earth-shattering.
Heart-breaking.
Elicits a response from my heart.

I cannot help but respond to that. Today it was with urgent prayers and tears. I tried to hide it because i was at church, but then I realized, I have nothing to be ashamed of. God's presence is real and I was swimming in it.

Second thing was just watching my friend sing this morning. 2 guys shared the worship leader role, and they did great! i know it's out of their comfort zone, or at least my friend's, but he did it. He knows it is more important to use his gifts for God's glory then stay in his comfort zone. Anyways...his voice was so pure and honest, and the tone just moved me. I was mesmerized, and got to thinking about how God gives each of us such different gifts. I couldn't do what he does, I coudn't do what Bob does, or Jeff or Krissy or anyone. But I can do what I can do - use the talents God has given me. Have I been? Have I let my church down? Am i letting the global Church down by using my gifts for other organizations but not for my church? I don't feel I have the time to, but I am working on that. I have recently volunteered to lead a charge for my church, and I am feeling the pressure and time constraints. What made me think I could do it? Nothing. But I WANT to do it. To give in this way...I need to. God has laid it on my heart.

So, I guess I should finish my laundry and cleaning my house and get on that work...

Have a blessed evening, everyone. And have a fantabulous week!
-Melinda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home