Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Nostalgic.

That is me today. That and a mixture of sadness. It's weird, there is no rational reason to be sad...and yet I feel sad today. I was weeding the garden and the air felt like Fall. Fall is my favorite season, and yet it reminds me of the end of something - like the end of innocence. A new school year, no more fun in the sun, the dying of the leaves on the trees and the beautiful flowers...but it reminds me also of bonfires and laughter and capture the flag and races and love. Weird, no? Fall today took me back to high school, and the hiding of the phone in the freezer and throwing the toaster and my left sneaker up in the big oak in the back. Reminds me of Varsity football games, wearing blue and gold sparkles on my face and a hornet tattoo on my left bicep (or...lack thereof...my sorry excuse for arm muscles!)

I am listening to Storyhill which prolly doesn't help. Their music is so chill and nostalgic to me. Why do I have to get this way? I don't miss how things were, I wouldn't want to go back, but I do miss the excitement and thrills that came with living with people during college. There was always something to do and people to see. It was so energizing! Instead, I slept in (LATE! slept til Becks woke me up with the doorbell...wow) and weeded the garden. BORING! But then my good friend Heidi and I went to dinner, Target, and back to her place to hang. It was so good. It reminded me that I am not alone in this journey, that I am needed, that I need others. God blesses us so much when we find those rare gems we can call friends - people who truly care about our well-being, who make us laugh, who remind us that we are worthwhile, who need our support and thoughts. And so to that end, I am indeed blessed, beyond any measure I can ever deserve.

So, before I go read my Bible (Heid, that one was for you!) and say good night, let me leave you with some words from 'Gone Away', my favorite nostalgic song...

"It's almost a welcome sign, almost familiar to me.
But tomorrow I'll be somewhere else, walking on someone's else's feet
I'm always only a ghost of myself, all the rest of me.

Couldn't keep up the pace...
And those bright days have come and passed
And though you try you cannot get them back

They've gone away....they've gone away....they've gone away from you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home