Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

"I can be country or city, welcome to my world...My life will drive you crazy...That's who I am, Take It or Leave It"

New song by Josh Hoge. Love it.

Anyways...on to a real post. Since I do seem to like posting song lyrics, I'm using a song to talk about an idea that really bothers me. Many of us are broken and have been hurt in the past, but that is no excuse for not healing or working through that pain to become whole once again. So here goes...

What’s Left of Me

Yup. The Nick Lachey song that some of you were sick of from the first time you heard it, is driving me nuts. I have to admit, I tend to like pop music – put me through the blender and process me so I sound all the same coming out the other side...I love it. Good for dancing, and mindless aversions to the real world. But this one, well, the lyrics really piss me off!

“Take what's left of this man
Make me whole once again

Now I'm broken, and I'm faded -- I'm half the man I thought I would be
You can have, all that's left, what's left of me”

Does anyone else have a problem with the fact that this guy is offering to a woman what is left of him? Not the whole, entire, complete being? I’m sorry, any guy offering me what is left of him will be left standing there as I walk away!

I have a lot of angst in this area because I see too many people who are broken and refuse to heal. I mean, we all have junk from our pasts. All of us. The person you know who seems to have it all together? They don’t. The over-achiever (hmm...) who excels at work and at school...I guarantee their personal life and emotional sanity is in peril. The girl who always has a guy and therefore seems to always be happy? Guarantee that her happiness is conditional, fleeting, and in jeopardy. Now, don’t get me wrong, we all know these people and many of us love our friends who are these people. We are these people. We all have things we will struggle with the rest of our lives.

But the big things, the things we can work through and heal from, why would we not do that before offering our heart over to someone? I mean, man, for some guy to look at me and say “I love you so much, but I am not a whole person – I left my heart with so-and-so...but don’t worry! You can have what’s left of me...” no sirree. Sorry buddy. I want all of you. The good, the bad and the ugly. I don’t want only the remainders.

OK, this seems to be coming out of left field, so I’ll end here. Just a bit of angst from that song, which I just heard again on the radio.

Take luck, have a great weekend y’all!
-Melinda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home