Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Monday, March 03, 2008

Unlocking the Basement Door

Sunday’s message at church – a good one. (As always!) But this one really stuck out to me right now. Jeff was talking about the final 3 traits that Peter instructs us to add to our faith in 2 Peter 1:3-9. Godliness, brotherly (and sisterly!) kindness, and love.

He explained godliness as bringing every region of our lives under God’s domain. I struggle with this – I don’t have a hard time giving the ‘areas’ over to God – like time, finance, relationships, etc. But, when I feel anxiety from one of those areas, it’s like I take the anxiety or worry out from under his domain and think I can handle it on my own. But it’s clear I can’t, and shouldn’t.

Next, brotherly kindness. My big takeaway was about how God uses people to do his work. That He cares for his children through other children. And it reminds me that I need to do things when I feel prompted to, because I never know if that instance is one where God is using a child of his to help another. And same for each of you – don’t underestimate those promptings.

Finally, love. He talked about the verse about ‘love your enemies’…and one phrase I see I’ve written down in my notes at church was ‘love might not change ‘your enemy’, but it will change you’. And while that’s true, there are also those moments when loving them also does change them.

My friends, our growth affects those around us. It affects us, but it also affects others. I’ve seen this very clearly with my high school girls. I have some areas in my life that recently were brought to light as areas that I need to work through. I need to let go of some past hurts and confront (lovingly, gently) some people who have wronged me. If I don’t, then these detrimental attitudes and actions that I’ve been living out will continue, and my girls will continue to see that and they may model their behavior after me. I will not teach them well, for what I have to offer isn’t the best of me. I haven’t been transformed in those areas, and I desperately want to. My actions affect them. And it made me realize that if I am lucky enough to get married and have kids someday, it will also affect my spouse and my kids.

Some tough stuff in there – as in, easy to pinpoint what to do, but tough to actually do it. It will require a lot of grace, confidence, humility, and peace. Yet God has given us everything we need. So, what will we do with it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home