Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

To Grow, Must Change

At church on Sunday Jeff did a phenomenal job (as always!) communicating about the story of Jesus as found in God’s Word. It’s amazing to me, and exciting, how my heart can still feel so alive and in tune with God each and every day. I’ve been a Jesus-follower my whole life, but over the past 7 years my passion has been re-awakened and it is truly a blessing and truly incomprehensible what my heart feels.

Anyways, Jeff was talking about how in order to follow Jesus the disciples had to leave something behind. “You can’t follow without leaving.” And I kept asking myself ‘what is it I need to leave in order to follow Jesus?’ It changes daily – I always have to leave my selfish desires behind, even though I mess that up all the time. :) But sometimes it’s specific things – like leaving security & safety, comfort, pride, friendships, energy, selfishness, etc. Right now I’m wrestling with a decision, and the reason I think I’m wrestling so much is that if I choose A, then I have to give up B. And if I choose B, I have to give up A. I don’t want to give up either of them, but in order to follow Jesus’ leading, I must give something up.

And wrestling through this is growing me and stretching me. “You can’t grow and remain the same.” There is always a change that happens in us as we grow. Yesterday I went down to Reeds Lake by myself to read and journal and pray, and I realized that I’ve ended one stage of my life and am beginning a new phase on this journey. It felt so peaceful to acknowledge that and to prepare my heart for what God has in store for me.

So, what things are growing you? Are you willing to change what you need to in order to experience growth? What is Jesus asking you to leave behind to follow him?

4 Comments:

  • At 10:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Good questions...

    There are always so many things that, when we really sit down to analyze them, we realize they have to go.

    Just finished my book review--in under the wire! I went with the Shane Claiborne book.

    And I'll be missing Catalyst this year...take some good notes for me, k?

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Melinda said…

    *sigh* I know, but it can be hard sometimes to leave them. Harder still sometimes for me is figuring out what I need to leave.

    Awesome - good choice on the book for the review! He's speaking at Catalyst tomorrow - I'll do my best with the notes and I'll tell you all about it when I return!

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    interesting.

     
  • At 1:22 AM, Blogger Melinda said…

    indeed. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home