Oh, the randomness...

Just my thoughts on life, love, and the pursuit of Jesus.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Best Insight

Let’s just start by acknowledging the fact that I tend to be a dramatic person – I like making life ‘big’. I make big, sweeping statements that cover more ground than I actually am committed to. This also means that while I am often good at soul-searching and finding God in every nook and corner of my life, I sometimes am not good at looking at a situation with a straightforward, practical approach. And the ability to do that is a trait I greatly admire. I have a couple of friends who have this gift, and use it graciously with me. One of these friends spoke some amazing wisdom into my life this week.

I was telling him how I recently found a really cool and very special way to encourage a mutual friend of ours going through a tough time. And I said a big sweeping statement (somewhat whiny) to the effect of “I wish I could simply encourage people for my job. I wish I didn’t have to work, but that my work was to actually get paid to call people when they’re down, to send care packages to people, to surprise people when they need a pick-me-up.” And you know what his response was? “You could do that for a job. Or, you could be a Christian. And use your gifts to encourage people every day, regardless of what job you’re in.”

So simple. So true. So straightforward. Why couldn’t I understand that on my own? Honestly, his statements were revolutionary for me. Imagine it – no matter what I do for work, or if I stay at home, or volunteer my time each day; I can encourage people right where I’m at. God gave me that passion, and so no matter where I find myself I can use that gift.

The coolest part? It’s been a week that I’ve had to fight to get through. And I was so glad just to be pouring into others that I didn’t realize how much I needed someone to give to me. And today, my boss’ wife brought me flowers. She brought pink gerbera daisies without even knowing they’re my favorite. What a great reminder that life is bigger than our job, and that people truly do care. I am loved. And I will continue to give that love to this world through any act of servitude or encouragement that I can.

Thanks being part of the journey with me.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sometimes we need the people outside of ourselves to tell us the most obvious information... :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home